Community-powered support for
Hughes
Supported by
7,085
customers like
you, as well as
the Hughes team.
HN 9200 Modem Will Not Initiate
My internet was not working so I checked the status of the satellite system via 192.168.0.1 and I had the red no go flag due to downloading updates from the NOC. After completion of downloading the status went to "processing files". The system then cycled off as if it were going to initialize the "power" LED came on and the 4 additional LED's (LAN, Transmit, Receive, System) all flashed once together like normal but then nothing. The power light remains on, but then every 40 seconds the other 4 will flash once and then nothing until another 40 seconds has passed and they will all flash once. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan and I got the system brand new 23 days ago. Did the modem go bad already or is there something I can do to fix this?
Promoted
Response
-
Yes he is and you can still find him over @dslreports as he helps many people. Unfortunately he must have had to much knowledge for this forum to be banned.
-
CHAMP
2Not a 9200 expert but it's the weekend and the HN community forum staff may not be on duty. Who is your VAR service provider? Bentley Walker, IraqSat or?
Not having that LAN light on is going to make it difficult to communicate with the modem. You may have already tried rebooting the modem. If not, then disconnect the power on the AC side of the power supply for 10 seconds and then reconnect.
Much Good on you for what you're doing over there on behalf of the rest of us. We're all in debt to you. Stay safe.-
Benjamin Nichols 8 months agoYep, service is from Bentley Walker. I have tried power cycling it. I even tried leaving it unplugged for about 8 hours.... still nothing. With it being the weekend I figured I'd at least try the shot in the dark that someone here might have had a similar issue and already knew how to handle it. Thanks for the reply.EditDeleteRemove
-
-
-
-
-
Looks like a modem failure. Get hold of the techs at BW. They should know.
http://www.bentley-walker.com/support
Your modem may have taken a hit from the flaky power there. If you can, get a really good computer UPS to smooth out the bad stuff.
Stay safe.-
Modem failure is what I'm assuming but I was hoping it wasn't that. I also read some of the other blogs on here regarding the effects of the dish being grounded or not grounded (very good information). Mine is not currently grounded (as it was self installed and I didn't know I needed to) and we routinely have high winds here that (after reading everything about it) was probably causing some issues due to static build-up (as was discussed in the thread). The only thing I didn't take away from the discussion was what part of the system should actually be grounded. I was left with the impression that I needed to run a grounding wire from the common ground of the structure to the mounting pole itself due to having the 98cm dish and everything was grounded to the next component all the way to the pole. (I believe I saw your name in the discusson) Do you know what I need to do there?
-
-
-
-
- Ground the transmitter to the dish back mount
- Ground the dish back mount to the dish face if it's not already bonded mechanically
- Run a ground wire from the dish back mount to a coaxial ground block (or antenna discharge unit) located near where the cables enter the building
- Ground the coaxial ground block to the common grounding point at the service entrance or generator
Rough Diagram
Coaxial Ground Block:
- Ground the transmitter to the dish back mount
-
-
-
-
Here is another with some pics by tweakbi of a 9000 system.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r2300...
Note the cautions included by grohgreg. -
-
Sara,
The grohgreg refered to in the post above is the same user we talked about on the phone.
This is sadly one you had banned from the site. This is someone who had a wealth of knowledge to share.
Just sayin...... -
-
CHAMP
1Good article there. Thanks for posting it.
Greg is a former Navy Radioman and darn near expert on this stuff. -
-
Yes he is and you can still find him over @dslreports as he helps many people. Unfortunately he must have had to much knowledge for this forum to be banned.
-
-
Contacted Bentley Walker, they are replacing the modem. Thanks for all the help with the grounding questions.
-
Loading Profile...
Twitter,
Facebook, or email.




